Friday, October 22, 2010

San Francisco

If you did not know the trip to San Francisco was the inspiration of my daughter Meghan. She asked me to run the Nike Women's Half Marathon with her. Without giving it much thought, I said sure. Little did I know what I was getting into. Also, at that time (May 2010) we had no idea about Ron's cancer.

To get into the marathon, we had to join TNT, an organization committed to raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada. Furthermore, we had to commit to training and be able to run 13.1 miles or 21.1 kilometers. Do you know how far that really is????

To make a long story short, instead of flying, Ron offered to drive us down. If you know Ron, you know that our trip was planned right down to the gas and pee breaks. We had a schedule and by George, Ron would get us to San Fran on time.

Our trip down went like this: Victoria via Coho Ferry to Olympia, WA. Olympia to Yreaka, CA, Yreaka to San Fran. We were in San Fran from Friday afternoon and left on Monday morning. San Fran to Napa Valley for some wine tasting then on to Brookings OR, on the Oregon Coast. Brookings to Portland OR. Portland to Victoria. We were back home on Wednesday, Oct 20.

We managed to get some shopping done, some sight seeing in San Fran, some wine tasting in Napa and see some awesome coastline in Oregon. All done on time.

Did I mention a speeding ticket???? OOPS, I guess that just slipped out. We won't mention who was speeding but I will tell you it was not one of the females on the trip. No need to say more.

When we see you and if you want to know about the race, I will be more than happy to share my experience. I will say though, I had no idea that it would be as emotional as it was. While running for 2.5 hours, I laughed, I cried, I was encouraged by strangers and cried some more. I am proud to say I did it; I am proud to say Meghan and I were there together. I am equally as proud of Meghan for her accomplishments and her encouragement to join this incredible group of women.

If any of you need any trips planned - please call Ron. He is the ulitmate trip planner! Thank you, Husband. Meg and I appreciate all your effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment