Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mom

For the past few days I have constantly been thinking of my Mom. She died of cancer; breast cancer that metastasised. Ironically, a very good friend shared today that his mother died yesterday morning of cancer. We talked for a good while. In doing so, the conversation turned to my Mom. I related a short story and we both laughed. I stopped short. I realized that my Mom is still making me laugh. For all of you who has lost someone very dear and close, allow yourself to let the memories warm your heart and put a smile on your face.

Now, for a little more about my Mom - Margaret Price. Mom loved Ron. Mom knew I had married the perfect man; a gem, my prince charming. Ron would do anything for Mom. Often, when visiting Mom in Comox, I would give Ron a jokingly and lovingly hard time. Mom would always chastise me. She would say, you have a good man. You be good to him; take care of him.

Mom was a fun and happy person to be with. I loved staying with her when we travelled to the Comox Valley. Four and a half years ago she succumbed to her cancer. One of the last things she said to me was "You have a good husband. You take care of him."

I wonder now if Mom knew something we didn't know. It's funny, we will never know. What I do know is that I miss my Mom terribly. I cannot tell you how often I wish I could pick up the phone and talk to her.

Recently I received a card from my workmates. An admirer wrote in the card:

A strong woman works out everyday to keep her body in shape...
but a woman of strength kneels in prayer to keep her soul in shape.

A strong woman is not afraid of anything...
but a woman of strength shows courage in the midst of her fear.

A strong woman won't let anyone get the best of her...
but a woman of strength gives the best of herself to everyone.

A strong woman makes mistakes and avoids the same in the future...
but a woman of strength realized life's mistakes can be a blessing.

A strong woman walks sure footedly...
but a woman of strength knows God will catch her when she falls.

A strong woman has faith she is strong enough for the journey...
but a woman of strength has faith that it is the journey that manes her strong.

"Strong Women Versus Women Of Strength"

This, my friends, was my Mother. I truly hope I have the strength of my Mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment