Monday, November 1, 2010

What Is In A Touch...

Next time you are walking with your loved one, simply reach out for their hand. Then ask yourself what does this mean.

For Ron and I, we have always held hands. The first time we held hands we felt very connected - and still do. We will, on occasion, reminisce about that first hand holding experience. Back then, at the ripe old age of 39, it had the power of making me feel youthful, almost teenager-ish.

Today, what does holding Ron's hand mean to me. When Ron reaches out and gently takes my hand and links his fingers with mine, he is saying thank you for being my friend, thank you for being here with me, thank you for being my wife. He is also saying I will be here for you as long as possible; we will get through this together; and he is saying I love you so very much.

When I reach for Ron's hand and hold it tight I am telling him I love you will all my heart; I am here for you; we will make this journey together - hand in hand; I will support you with all my strength, heart and soul.

A peck on the cheek, a hug or simple hand holding, they all take us to the foundation of our relationship; friendship, trust, respect, honesty and unconditional love for one another.

Above all, there is a healthy dose of laughter. We laugh in the galley, we laugh on deck, we laugh in the bedroom. I don't think there is not a place where we have not found reason or conversation to make us laugh. Quite often it is at or about one another...

Never underestimate the power of a loving touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment